I settled into my desk today and happened upon a little gem that someone left for me. It was an Evo Sportster plastic model with functioning rear suspension and rubber tires. I rocked out a few wheelies and drove it over my computer a handful of times before loosing interest. Later in the day, while on a conference call, I began disassembling it to sharpen it’s stance… It spiraled out of control and turned into “A Day in the Life of OCC”. Here’s our feature on it.
And so began the build. Like a Teutel (Orange County Choppers), I recognized instantly that time was going to be a factor and I couldn’t afford any setbacks; I wanted to go home at 5 and I had billable work to do still.
My original intention was to build a fairly traditional bobber, but once apart I saw this lady’s true potential. I decided to go as far as extending the forks along with building and installing the weld-on hard tail section. I began with cutting off all unnecessary parts like the shocks, guards, lights, etc… Most real choppers lack front brakes and hand controls all together and since I didn’t have the time or resources to convert it to a foot clutch I decided to regain my street credibility by removing the brake system all together. Now it was time to form the new parts from medical-grade steel tubing.
At this point I began to get pretty excited because I could really see it coming to life during the mockup. That’s the fully fab’d 1″ over narrow glide front end with the hardtail section complete. I also bobbed the factory fender and installed it with new mounting brackets. It was truly becoming a Cali club bike. After the exhaust system was finished I had a complete machine, cosmetics aside.
My first build in the real world was a sportster (further back in this blog) and the front exhaust pipe always used to fall off due to some shitty brackets. It would make this horrible sound like a buffalo farting in a coffee can and in tribute to that I only installed an exhaust pipe on the rear cylinder. I couldn’t afford shaker tips so I reused the muffler from the front cylinder, attaching it on top of the rear muffler to really capture that flared up look. This also made sense to me because if my front cylinder had no back pressure my rear one was going to need A LOT of it to even things out. I’d have to say that the hardest part was turning the speedometer into an oil pressure gauge and then relocating it to the air cleaner, but it was completely worth it. I love the way this bike turned out and I’m not even sure if I’ll put a seat on it or have it painted. I will however be doing a feature in the near future where I split the Evo unicase, put a kicker 4-speed ratchet top tranny on it, seal the crankshaft and run an open primary belt….. Perhaps cutting some mag spokes to make Invader wheels as well….
I want to thank Marcus, Justin and Brad for listening when I talk and my next girlfriend for being so hot.